So, in honour of getting back on the wagon, below is my Slow Cooker Vegetable & Red Lentil Soup, ..made super clean and made easy peasy. The choice of vegetables, and spices, including their amounts here, provide you with a nutritionally, well balanced and very flavourful soup. It's delicious, Scouts Honour!
To save some prep time, I used mostly frozen, already chopped vegetables for this soup, but if you want to go fresh, definitely go fresh! Frozen vegetables are just as delicious and healthy for this recipe, ..but I do suggest not to go canned, or you lose the 'clean' factor of this recipe, big time!
Slow Cooker Vegetable & Red Lentil Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutesCook Time: 6-8 Hours
Amount: 10-12 servings
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil ( I did not use extra virgin olive oil. I often use extra virgin olive oil raw, like in salads, and do not cook with it often.)
- 1 box chicken broth (I use Home Gardens Organic)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dried chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups spinach, frozen (no need to drain)
- 2 cups green and/or yellow beans, frozen
- 1 cup cauliflower, frozen
- 1 cup broccoli, frozen
- 1 large carrot, fresh, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, fresh, finely chopped
- 1 cup, mushrooms, fresh, finely chopped
- 1 cup red lentils, dry
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Set your slow cooker on high, and for 6 or 8 hours, the longer the soup cooks the more flavour you will get from this soup.
- Place all your ingredients, except red lentils in slow cooker, and give everything a good stir. Let it slow cook!
- Add the red lentils halfway through cooking time, and stir. If you are away for the day and cannot do this step, just add your red lentils in the beginning, with the rest of the ingredients. Stir soup, and let it continue to cook.
- Once your soup is cooked, stir once more.
- Serve with grated parmesan, asiago, or string cheese! ..my kids love it with string cheese on top!