I must give major props to Nabisco, particularly those peeps that take care of Oreo's limited edition flavours, because holy smokes have they been coming out with some awesome limited edition cookie flavours, ..particularly, the Oreo Gingerbread Cookie flavour! WOW!
I missed the launch of these last year, ..I never got to try one, and by one, I mean a bag of 'em!, ..but this year ,..well, there they were in the cookie aisle, staring at me in the face, and my resolve to keeping it clean, in regards to eating during the weekday, fell to the way, way, wayside, this Holiday season.
These cookies are only available for a limited time, which means hurry up and get to your local Walmart, and buy some ASAP! ..and when you get home, eat a couple with your beverage of choice-may I suggest a nice cinnamon laced latte, ..and save some, about 8-10 cookies to make these cupcakes!
Flavour of the cookie: ..these Gingerbread Oreos are 'distractingly' tasty on their own. Yep, they distract anything I might be doing when eating these, ..so I just sit with these cookies and enjoy them without doing anything else. So, in a nutshell, I savour these babies with every fiber of my being! Btw, this is a very sweet cookie and the filling has a 'calm-inducing' ginger/spices flavour to it. Eh, to be blunt, they're freakin' amazing!
..so when I decided to 'cupcake' these cookies, things got extra delicious in the kitchen, and let me just say the aroma that fills the vicinity when baking these, is TDF (to die for, in case some peeps didn't get that abbreviation!)
All right, let's get to it, ..recipe below!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 18-20 minutes
Amount: 12 cupcakes
- 1/4 cup/62 grams butter (at room temp.)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg (at room temp.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use Nielsen-Massey)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (I use 2%)
- 8-10 Gingerbread Oreos, (coarsely chopped-I chopped mine using my beloved Starfrit Swizzz Prozzz Chopper--love, LOVE, love this thing!)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (at room temp.)2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Whipping Cream
Special Things You'll Need:
- 12 Gingerbread Men cookies to top cupcakes (I bought mine at Bulk Barn)
- Gingerbread Oreos (I bought mine at Walmart)
- Piping Bag for frosting cupcakes
- Piping Tip (I used the Wilton 1M tip (Star Tip)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 1 cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Combine and stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- In another medium-sized bowl, cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
- Add egg and mix for about 1 minute. Do not over mix the egg.
- Add vanilla exract and mix for another minute.
- Alternate 2x each and on low speed the milk and flour mixture into batter. Use a spatula in between mixing to ensure you do not get any large lumps in your batter.
- Add chopped Gingerbread Oreos to batter, and fold in until just incorporated into batter. (if you can't find the Gingerbread Oreo cookies, use any type of hard gingerbread cookie)
- Scoop batter evenly into 12 liners, about 3/4 of the way up.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from cupcake pan and let completely cool on wire rack.
- Cream butter for 4 minutes at medium speed.
- Then add your icing sugar, and mix for 2 more minutes at low speed. Ensure your mixer is at the lowest speed when adding icing sugar to avoid sugar from flying everywhere.
- Add vanilla, cinnamon and salt, and mix at medium speed for 1 minute more.
- Add whipped cream, and mix at medium speed for 1 minute, do not over mix.
- Scoop frosting into piping bag, with the star tip already in place, and frost each cupcake. Click HERE for a quick tutorial on how to frost cupcakes using a piping bag and star tip.
- Sprinkle Gingerbread Sprinkles on each cupcake and if you have some left over cookie crumbs, sprinkle those, too.
- Place 1 Gingerbread Man Cookie on each cupcake.