..they are ridiculously yummy! ..and very easy to make.
The first time I made them, I wasn't quite satisfied with the heavy salt hit in the crust, and I found the crust to have too much butter, yes there is such a thing at times, ..so I've adjusted the recipe since then. I do prefer 'my' version! My apologies, Fat Witch, ..but I still love your recipes!
I recently put out a 12-bar platter of these for my family and a few friends, during a hockey game, (Montreal-Boston Game 1) and they were gone before the second period was barely over! The Habs won that game, btw! Sweet!
|Congo Bars, recipe adapted from Fat Witch Brownies|
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 30-35 minutes
Amount: 12-16 barsLevel: Easy, Baby
- 1/4 cup flour, (I used unbleached)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 5 tablespoons, unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup pecans or nuts of choice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour an 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan.
- Measure flour, baking powder and salt.
- Sift them together in a medium bowl.
- Stir in the graham cracker crumbs and light brown sugar. Mix well using a spatula or large spoon.
- Drop the butter in tablespoon-fuls and mix into a dough using a fork or clean hands, until the dough is slightly crumbly, but holds together.
- Spread the dough evenly in a thin layer, in prepared baking pan, pressing with your hands.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes or until the crust is slightly golden.
- Remove crust from oven and let cool.
- Crust should be soft to touch and not crispy at this point.
- Mix together the shredded coconut, both white and milk chocolate chips, and the condensed milk, using a large spoon or spatula.
- Add the pecans or other nut of choice, if desired.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the baked crust.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more, or until top is golden brown.
- Watch carefully at the end of baking time, and do not let the top become too bubbly or dark.
- Remove from oven and let cool and set for 2 hours, or until chocolate chips are no longer soft.
- Cut into bars just before serving!